About the Job
Salary: From £40,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience
Location: Hybrid - flexibility to work from home or at any of our main hubs (London, Bristol, Manchester and Milton Park - Oxfordshire), however proximity to data centre locations in Manchester and London is preferred as you are required to travel to the data centres when required
Jisc is the UK digital, data and technology agency focused on tertiary education, research, and innovation. We are a not-for-profit organisation with a big ambition to improve lives through education and research by providing hardware, software, and networking solutions.
Join us and your contribution will help us to empower UK universities, colleges, research institutions and wider customers with technology so that everyone prospers.
About the role:
The security team, part of Group CTO, protects UK Education and Research against a wide range of cyber security threats, supporting our members and customers in improving their digital resilience.
In this new and varied role, we are looking for someone ideally with previous Data Centre experience to take responsibility for on-site services and support of the Jisc Data Centres in various locations across the UK. We have a range of state-of-the-art infrastructure that enable us to offer critical national infrastructure type services governed by secure by design principals. Our data centres are connected to the Janet network backbone which offers unrivalled connectivity options and high bandwidth.
The role is hybrid/working from home or office hub based but travel will be required as necessary (expensed within policy) as this is a primarily a physical and hands on role.
Responsibilities will include:
• Working in a Secure Data Centre within health and safety requirements and compliance standards.
• Communicating third party vendors & contractors, internal stakeholders of numerous levels and skills, and the creation and maintenance of documentation and their support tickets.
• Understanding the importance of meeting SLAs against assigned trouble tickets.
• Physical and Virtual Server and networking troubleshooting, factoring in secure by design principles.
• Deploying, maintaining, and decommissioning any physical infrastructure in hosting locations throughout a products life cycle.
• Replacing media and ethernet/fibre patching without disruption to adjacent services.
Key Skills and Experience:
• Operational experience working in an appropriate technical subject area or operational experience providing or supporting front line network services.
• Previous hands-on Data Centre experience would be preferred but not essential.
• Experience deploying, integrating, and administering a wide variety of systems (particularly Linux)
• Knowledge or experience of working with various enterprise technologies, including Microsoft, cloud and open sources service.
• Physically capable of installing a range of equipment into racks within data centres.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a technical team.
Please refer to the job description for full details.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box, but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work for us?
At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. We want to create a culture of lifelong learning. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
We believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. Our hybrid working policy is flexible, and the frequency of time spent in your nominated office will vary across teams and job roles.
Take a look at our fantastic benefits! We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
• 31 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) that includes an additional three closure days over Christmas
• A generous pension scheme
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, 3 days volunteer leave per annum and even career breaks
• A generous budget to support you with external learning and Continuous professional development
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment
• Financial well-being support
• The opportunity to donate to charity tax-free with our Payroll Giving benefit
• A wide range of discounts from retailers and big-name high-street stores
• Cycle to work scheme
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
• Additional Flexible benefits include Holiday Buying - Purchase 1-5 days’ additional holiday per annum, Healthcare Cashplan, Electric Car Lease Scheme and option to purchase SmartTech
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We celebrate diversity, embrace our differences, through our culture and employee networks and know that this is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive and we are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. Striving to be best in practice, we are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles - a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, class, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status, or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you need made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as soon as we can and aim to provide an update on your application within 4 weeks of receiving it. However, you may hear from us a lot sooner, so please keep an eye out for our emails or calls!
We advertised this role on 08/02/2024.
Please log in below using your existing username and password - once logged-in, you will be presented with a menu of options.
If you have not already registered, then please register now.