Licensing Portfolio Specialist - Learning and Teaching
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
In Licensing our role is to support the procurement and management of licensed digital content and software for education and research in the UK. The agreements we negotiate and the products and services we provide are shaped directly by the needs of our members, customers and funders – captured through our strategic and advisory groups and continual engagement with stakeholders.
We know that sometimes people can be off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box. But we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we are looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• Demonstrable experience in negotiation, licensing and procurement of content to support teaching and learning
• A track record of successfully leading, motivating and developing a team of professional staff to achieve high performance and continual service improvement
• Business development experience in delivery and managing a variety of products and services to a high standard
• Provision of reports, briefings and presentations to senior level stakeholders
• Effective strategic problem solving and creative decision-making skills
• Excellent presentation and report writing skills – able to effectively convey and synthesise detailed, technical and non-technical, complex requirements to all audiences
• Effective planning and product management skills
• Strategic awareness and understanding of how operational activities contribute to strategic objectives
About the role
Digital resources is the Jisc directorate that delivers services that support the procurement, licensing, management, discovery and use of content and software for UK further education, higher education and research. Our product families are: licensing, open research, content and discovery.
In 2019-20 we saved the sector no less than £100 million on licensed digital content and the cost of open access publishing. Our own financial sustainability is also critical and we seek to bring in revenue of over £2.35m in 2020/21.
As Licensing Portfolio Specialist you will provide expert knowledge and insight in the area of teaching and learning to ensure that Content portfolio is continually enhanced to satisfy our members, customers and funders and aligns with Jisc strategy. Working with the Head of Content Licensing, you will develop the strategy, processes, and policies to support teaching and learning and enhance the student experience across a range of institutions. You will lead a team of licensing managers to translate strategy into highly valued agreements for licensed content and services.
Other responsibilities will include:
• Developing and owning the licensing and negotiation strategy.
• Manage and enhance the content licensing portfolio for Teaching and Learning
• Reporting internally and externally to members, funders and customers, to demonstrate outcomes, impact and value.
• Leading a team of licensing managers
• Facilitating knowledge transfer across your team to ensure staff are kept abreast of latest developments in your specialist area
• Leading complex negotiations / licence and contract discussions for existing and new agreements / business development activities with your licensing managers
• Owning UK and international relationships with education and copyright stakeholders and bodies, publishers and intermediaries
• Contributing to the maintenance of Jisc Licensing as a world recognised expert and leader in negotiation and licensing for education and research content
Why work at Jisc
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working including flexible hours and working from home where possible.
We are always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too:
• We offer 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 3 days Christmas closure)
• Simply health – a health cash plan
• You have the option to join the generous USS pension scheme
• We provide discounts on IT equipment, a cycle to work scheme and season ticket loans
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is a doddle, thanks to our technology, but getting face to face is something we value and is essential in this role, so you will need to travel. Our main offices are in Bristol, Harwell, London and Manchester.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CV’s as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 12/02/21.