Data Protection Support Officer
Salary: circa £30,000 p.a when working fulltime (35 hours)
Location: Home based and/or at any of our hubs
Contract: 12 month Fixed Term contract
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• A good practical understanding of data protection, information governance or regulatory services
• Experience of compliance processes within complex organisations, with a strong ability to examine process activities with Data Protection regulatory frameworks in mind
• Proven experience of working under pressure, meeting tight deadlines and working flexibly in response to changing priorities
• Able to confidently deal with internal stakeholders therefore strong communication skills are essential
Following the successful initial implementation of the GDPR/Data Protection Act (2018) the data protection team has been embedding a data protection culture throughout Jisc. The Data Protection work programme 2021-2023 has been set up in response to the increased size of the organisation and variety of personal data processing. It is both exciting but challenging for the data protection team which is expanding to successfully implement this programme.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a keen interest & experience of Data Protection /GDPR regulatory frameworks to join our highly efficient Data Protection team.
Jisc have numerous teams and services processing personal and sensitive data, both member and student data. You will be instrumental in managing and delivering key parts of the data protection work programme.
Some of your key tasks will include:
• Record of Processing Activities (ROPA) and Data Flows for controller and processor activities also needs to be reviewed and validated
• As part of the audit and data discovery work, you will work with the business to identify and develop any processing activities that we need to build in data protection
• Managing the Retention and Disposal of personal (and non-personal) data
• The data protection team need to work closely to support their work and in particular with their relationship with the Higher Education Statutory Agency (HESA). You will be giving specialist data protection advice and guidance, making sure that our data protection requirements are embedded into new services and products being created
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and three additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health and wellbeing benefits, including access to wellbeing support
• The option to join a generous pension scheme
• A wide range of discounts, a cycle scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans, as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know:
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical to our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you’re great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
Let us know if you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We’ll be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CV’s when we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match. We don’t usually use closing dates, so apply as soon as you can to avoid missing out. We advertised this role on 13/07/21.