Salary: circa £65,000 to £70,000 per annum when working fulltime (35 hours)
Location: Hybrid or at any of our hubs
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think that they can’t tick every box, but this role touches upon a lot of different technologies and we are looking to build a function bringing together a range of specialist areas. If you feel you can demonstrate a strong capability within at least one of the technology areas listed below, please go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• Experience of diverse technical environment, with a focus on core business systems is essential
• Expertise in developing architecture frameworks, processes and disciplines including defining key architecture deliverables (context diagrams, sequence diagrams, information models, etc.) and architecture governance organisations (technical design review board)
• Proven and demonstrated skills in building and leading enterprise architecture function, managing projects and programmes, developing senior and board level communications materials, developing / executing vendor management & selection processes
• Knowledge of Enterprise Architecture frameworks (TOGAF, Zachman etc) is desirable
• Expert skill in analysis and interpretation of large, complex IT/technology estate
• Excellent stakeholder management skills including workshop facilitation.
Residing within Group Infrastructure, the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) is a team with two crucial objectives - ensuring a strategic approach to the use of IT across Jisc, and ensuring a consistent, transparent, and efficient approach to the way Group Infrastructure delivers its services to the business.
This role is overarching whilst leading and coordinating the EA function and for setting the parameters to which all systems must adhere to, ensuring they can seamlessly integrate with our core systems and support the data flows required to achieve end-to-end business processes. A key aspect of this role is understanding the environment, technology estate and decentralised approach Jisc currently have, then to make recommendations for improvements and oversee the results.
Working alongside the Enterprise Data Manager and Infrastructure Engineers, you will ensure there is a documented and managed multi-level system and data architecture model, and data integration mapping. You will also highlight areas for enhancement and develop a future target operating model for business systems architecture, and documented system roadmaps.
The role holder will also be influential in a newly formed Technical Design Authority (TDA); a small group of key staff with specific technical and business knowledge from across Jisc, with a focus on alignment and coordination of business unit IT and systems development.
Some of your responsibilities may involve:
• Provide leadership on business architecture and systems process.
• Evaluating internal functions, business system development strategies, and business processes.
• Creating business architecture models to reflect the organisation's strategies and goals and implementing business visions.
• Ensure multi-year roadmaps for line-of-business systems are developed and published.
• Evaluating systems engineering, and accounting models for discrepancies and vulnerabilities
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and three additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health and wellbeing benefits, including access to wellbeing support
• The option to join a generous pension scheme
• A wide range of discounts, a cycle scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans, as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know:
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical to our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you’re great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
Let us know if you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We’ll be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CV’s when we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match. We don’t usually use closing dates, so apply as soon as you can to avoid missing out.
We advertised this role on 07/10/21