Commercial Bid Manager
Salary: From £36,000 to £40,000 per annum DOE (when working full time max 35 hours per week)
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
The customers team seeks to increase high-value sale of Jisc products and service to new markets and organisations not traditionally within Jisc membership, to increase new revenue streams into the business and thus help reduce reliance on grant funding.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• Experienced in bid / proposal management with proven success in managing winning bids
• Matrix management experience in leading virtual bid teams, motivating and directing team members to achieve a shared goal
• Ability to identify risks and mitigation strategies for the proposal submission and escalate where necessary
• Drive for continual improvement in proposal creation processes. Identifying areas for improvement and collaborating with teams to deliver positive changes
• Able to demonstrate a good understanding of the way in which tenders are managed and delivered to influence, monitor and challenge every aspect of the bid i.e. finance, quality, delivery and commercial inputs
• Strong team player, able to function at a high level within the context of the team, as well as being strongly motivated to operate using your own initiative
• Ability to drive your own workload to deliver defined objectives.
• Bid and Proposal Management Professionals qualification (APMP)
About the role
The Commercial Bid Manager is responsible for managing the end-to-end bid process from Bid/No Bid through to customer negotiation and Contract Award. Working closely with the Sales Bid Lead/Director who owns the opportunity strategic approach and commercials.
You will support continuous improvement, working with the Sales Enablement and Procurement functions and key roles within other areas of Jisc to own and ensure the process and ongoing improvement to process.
Other responsibilities will include:
• Timeline planning, identifying and managing workflows of Bid Management and production
• Resource Management; ensuring sufficient resources are allocated to each bid, identifying peaks and leading resource planning meetings to enable resource owners to plan their resource profiles
• Working with the Bid Lead to ensure all appropriate Gateways have been met during the opportunity lifecycle
• Working with the Procurement Team to ensure leads are circulated to the appropriate sales / product owner
• Management of the Bid Pipeline and working with the Procurement Team to ensure all new leads are tracked and relevant data collated from identification to contract award
• Provide expert guidance on documentation where required
• Working with Bid Leads on opportunity planning and developing the bid strategy and win themes
• Conduct Win/Loss reviews following each bid submission outcome. Draw on lessons learned to identify areas for improvement to feed into future bids
• Lead process improvements working with the Sales Enablement and Procurement teams, feeding back into sales and operational teams to ensure bids are not only compliant and compelling but also deliverable
• With Bid stakeholders from other areas of the business to share best practice and ideas
Why work at Jisc
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and three additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health and wellbeing benefits, including access to wellbeing support
• The option to join a generous pension scheme
• A wide range of discounts, a cycle scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans, as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week).
We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 18/11/2021.