About the Job
Salary: From £50,000 per annum (depending on experience)
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We believe education and research improves lives, and technology improves education and research.
Our vision is for the UK to be a world leader in technology for education and research and our mission is to power and empower our members with the technology and data they need to succeed. We know that digital technology has the ability to transform the student experience. We have the experience, expertise and know-how to drive that transformation.
At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. We want to create a culture of lifelong learning. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
We celebrate diversity, embrace our differences and know that this is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive and we are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
About the role:
This is a great opportunity to join an exciting and diverse team, where you will play an active and hands on role in delivering technical engagements in Penetration Testing and Cyber Essentials.
The Security division at Jisc provides a high-quality facility to protect the JANET network from intrusion, denial of service and all other service impacting potential threats and attacks. We make sure that our digital IT capabilities and expertise are applied cost-effectively and imaginatively to provide respected services.
We are looking for someone who will enjoy working in a dynamic, responsive, and collaborative environment and be dedicated to the success of our organisation. You will be responsible for carrying out Penetration testing and general security advice and guidance, both remotely and at member or Jisc sites as necessary along with Sysadmin and DevSecOps work to support the professional services team in offering a fully rounded set of security services to internal customers.
Other responsibilities will include:
• Provide appropriate briefings to a range of different management audiences, simplifying complex security data and provide guidance on suitable penetration testing and defensive methods
• Scoping of security tests directly with the members and providing clarity on reporting parameters
• Providing guidance on suitable penetration testing and defensive methodologies for cloud and local services
• Maintain awareness of changing security threats to enable enhancement of current tools for penetration testing and security assessment
• Advise and support other teams, customers and third-party suppliers on detected security threats and advising best course of action for remediation
Key Skills and Experience:
• Relevant technical security qualifications or experience, for example: CompTIA Security+, CompTIA+ PenTEST+, CEH EC (Council Ethical Hacker), CREST Registered Tester, CREST Practitioner Security Analyst, EC- Council Certified Security Analyst, OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Professional)
• Experience in a security specialist role with penetration testing, sysadmin, DevOps, DevSecOps or a cloud security element or able to showcase self-study that builds hands on skills for a junior role
• Able to communicate effectively with a range of security professionals and simplify complex technical issues for senior management
• Preferred experience of delivering new tools and services to improve the security context of an organisation, service or system
• Innovative, inquisitive and creative mindset
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
Please refer to the job description for full details.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work at Jisc:
At Jisc we believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
We offer hybrid working and although the majority of our staff work from home, getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. If you prefer an office environment all our hubs are open and offer a great space to work.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
• 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and an additional three closure days over Christmas
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment, plus your own Wellbeing allowance to spend on wellbeing for you
• Financial well-being support
• Discounts on big-name high-street stores
• Cycle to work scheme
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
Equality, diversity and inclusion
At Jisc, we strive to be best in practice and are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles - a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you need made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 21/09/2022.
Please log in below using your existing username and password - once logged-in, you will be presented with a menu of options.
If you have not already registered, then please register now.