Senior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Salary: Up to £50,000 per annum depending on experience (when working full time max 35 hours per week)
Location: Hybrid - office based with full flexibility to work from home or at any of our hubs
Jisc is the leading UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We operate shared digital infrastructure and services; negotiate sector-wide deals with IT vendors and commercial publishers; and provide trusted advice and practical assistance for universities, colleges and learning providers.
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
The Data Engineering team is responsible for developing and undertaking anything data-related, using leading-edge software tools and software development expertise – focussed purely on education data. The team also supports Universities and Colleges to help them integrate disparate data sources into Jisc’s Data Hub- the key engine and heartbeat of Jisc’s data analytics services.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We are looking for:
• Demonstrable and proven experience in building and designing large-scale and real-time batch data pipelines
• Experience in implementing cloud technologies in AWS, including Fargate, Lambdas, RDS, SQS, S3 and serverless working models using Terraform.
• Track record of building and managing data storage solutions including Data Lakes, Databases and Data Warehouses.
• Expertise in Python for data processing, along with a willingness to develop expertise in other languages as needed.
• Experience working with PostgreSQL, DocumentDB, MongoDB and MySQL.
About the role:
In this exciting role you will lead the development on our current and emerging work with Universities and Colleges to help them integrate disparate data sources into Jisc’s Data Hub- the key engine and heartbeat of Jisc’s data analytics services. This will involve working closely key stakeholders to understand their systems and develop new data systems, infrastructure and integration solutions. This involves complex research & analytics of various systems to build detailed technical requirements and specifications for successful development, documentation, testing and implementation to an agreed standard. You will be the key development lead on Data Engineer projects and (sub)product developments.
Other responsibilities will include:
• To lead and manage software & product developments, from inception to delivery, for all relevant work tasks which maintain and develop data capability within DA
• To be the leading technical expert on data engineering
• To plan and articulate a timed delivery of products and solutions to both external (Jisc membership) and internal customers – using Jira and other project management tools/ approach to accomplish this using Agile methods
• Contribute to the development of a range of integration solutions to support Jisc’s services by writing high quality code to agreed standards
• Support and mentor junior members of the team
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors. At Jisc we offer hybrid working so you have the flexibility to work from home or if you prefer, from any of our offices. At times you may be required to attend meetings, however there are situations where you may need to work from the office more often but will be dependent on your role requirement.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and three additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health and wellbeing benefits, including access to wellbeing support
• The option to join a generous pension scheme
• A wide range of discounts, a cycle scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans, as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 22/06/2022.