We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
You will have generalist HR experience and a proven ability to establish personal credibility quickly, demonstrating the organisation’s values and building trust to effectively collaborate, persuade and influence colleagues at all levels.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box. But we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. If you're excited about working for us and can do most of what we are looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
To summarise, we’re ideally looking for someone with:
• Operational experience as a HR generalist within a high volume, fast paced, customer focussed environment
• Experience of advising managers on a range of ER cases, including performance management, sickness absence, discipline and, grievance.
• Experience of successfully implementing a range of change programmes.
• Experience of leading or delivering people projects
• Evidence of strong knowledge of current employment law and applying this to ensure the effective resolution of employee relations issues
About the role:
Our HR team’s core belief is that the employee experience should match our member and customer’s experience. We exist to empower our people to be their best every day, helping realise potential through identifying, growing and retaining diverse talent, embracing education and technology. Every team member has a role to play in achieving this aim and we work collaboratively across the team to ensure we deliver to the business.
The HR partner role fits within the HR service delivery team and has an indirect reporting line to the Head of HR partnership to provide a professional HR advice and consultancy service. The role is responsible for:
• Proactively working with people managers, managing employee relations and wellbeing matters that are escalated from HR operations, providing professional advice and guidance whilst adopting a solutions focused approach.
• The successful delivery of a range of differing complexities of people related projects and change programmes within the agreed business area, supporting and coaching people managers throughout the process, ensuring they are delivered on time and in line with Jisc’s processes in a fair and consistent way.
• The role holder will lead, and own larger, more complex people related projects and change programmes or will be involved in smaller and less complex projects dependent on your previous experience.
• Working in collaboration with team members across all HR specialisms, developing, managing and delivering organisational wide and/or directorate initiatives and projects to support the delivery of the people strategy.
• Working with the wider HR team to ensure the provision of efficient, high quality services including robust systems and processes. You would be taking a lead role in identifying opportunities for improvement, offering solutions to address and implementing or co-ordinating the implementation of agreed actions with a range of stakeholders.
• Participating in the review and development of Jisc’s HR policies, as part of the policy review schedule, ensuring a customer focused approach and that policies are light touch, easy to use, legislatively compliant, reflect our culture, and are supported by toolkits and guidelines where appropriate.
• Coaching, supporting, providing feedback and sharing specialist knowledge with other team members to support skills development, continuous improvement and support service delivery.
• Co-ordinating and leading as HR representative organisational committees as required
• The role holder may be responsible for the direct relationship between HR and the business to execute and embed the People strategy and actively input into supporting the delivery of the relevant area business plan deliverables.
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working including flexible hours and working from home where possible.
We are always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 3 additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health & wellbeing benefits, including cash plan, and access to wellbeing support
• You have the option to join the generous USS pension scheme
• We offer a wide range of discounts, a cycle to work scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is a doddle, thanks to our technology, but getting face to face is something we value and is essential in this role, so you will need to travel. Our main offices are in Bristol, Harwell, London and Manchester.
Other stuff you need to know:
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CV’s as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 01/04/21.