Salary: Circa £50,000per annum negotiable depending on experience
Location: Hybrid - flexibility to work from home or at any of our main hubs (London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell)
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We believe education and research improves lives, and technology improves education and research.
Our vision is for the UK to be a world leader in technology for education and research and our mission is to power and empower our members with the technology and data they need to succeed. We know that digital technology has the ability to transform the student experience. We have the experience, expertise and know-how to drive that transformation.
At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. We want to create a culture of lifelong learning. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
We celebrate diversity, embrace our differences and know that this is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive and we are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
About the role:
The technology and data team sits within our digital resources (DR) directorate. We provides high quality management and support across the directorate’s products and services. It provides the technical infrastructure to support all we do, bringing expertise of the domain-specific data within our sectors and utilising new technologies and professional standards.
You will create and maintain organisational knowledge about data and the systems through which it moves, to enable the organisation to manage its data as an asset and increase the value it gets from data by identifying opportunities for data usage, cost reduction and risk mitigation.
This role represents a great opportunity to learn about data architecture with a career path into this discipline. We are looking for a background in data engineering or business intelligence/data warehousing. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to move from the development and maintenance of data architecture, to a design and strategy-focused role.
Responsibilities will include:
• Review the current business intelligence and data warehouse architecture and Digital Resources data pipelines, recommend and drive the implementation of quick improvements and a longer-term target architecture for BI platform development to support divisional needs
• Audit data flows across Digital Resources and facilitate the migration to a Mulesoft-based integration environment
• Contribute to data roadmaps, data solutions and data models in the context of systems and applications across the Digital Resources business
• Create and maintain enterprise data catalogue metadata and its interfaces to Digital Resource datasets and models
Key Skills and Experience:
• Demonstrable experience in data engineering, data warehousing/lake techniques and data analytics
• Extensive experience with different types of databases (relational, key-value, columnar, document, graph, etc.) and understanding of their relative strengths
• Strong knowledge of data fabric and integration tools such as Mulesoft, Talend, Denodo, Informatica or Fivetran
• Strong analytical skills, ability to resolve problems and make decisions
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work at Jisc:
At Jisc we believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
We offer hybrid working and although the majority of our staff work from home, getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. If you prefer an office environment all our hubs are open and offer a great space to work.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
• 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays and three closure days at Christmas
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment, plus your own Wellbeing allowance to spend on wellbeing for you
• Financial well-being support
• Discounts on big-name high-street stores
• Cycle to work scheme
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
Equality, diversity and inclusion
At Jisc, we strive to be best in practice and are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles - a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you need made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 23/01/2023