Role: Portfolio Director
Salary: from £75,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience plus excellent benefits
Location: Hybrid - flexibility to work from home or at any of our main hubs (London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell)
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We operate shared digital infrastructure and services; negotiate sector-wide deals with IT vendors and commercial publishers; and provide trusted advice and practical assistance for universities, colleges and learning providers.
Our vision is for the UK to be a world leader in technology for education and research and our mission is to power and empower our members with the technology and data they need to succeed. We know that digital technology has the ability to transform the student experience. We have the experience, expertise and know-how to drive that transformation.
As our new Portfolio Director, you have a really great opportunity to quickly be impactful and make some highly visible improvements to the way we work. You are joining Jisc at an exciting time as the key building blocks, including a new software system, are in place within our Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO) function and it’s now time to embed and drive the culture change to improve business performance.
About your team and the role:
The EPMO sits within the Strategy & Corporate Services directorate and is responsible for ensuring Jisc is driven strategically and resources are prioritised on the right projects and performance and benefits realisation are tracked accordingly.
The EPMO acts as a centre of excellence for all projects and programmes within Jisc. The team also provides central support for certification services including ISO27001, ISO9001 & the provision of support for Jisc wide strategy development and Jisc wide risk and performance management.
Jisc continues to grow, and with this there is a demand for more capability, assurance, strategic reporting and agility for our programme and project portfolio. The EPMO has been created to provide a centralised strategic business function driving, through the creation of a permanent portfolio office, a significant programme of works to the highest quality.
Your key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• As Portfolio Director, you will lead and manage the EPMO team comprising of an Head of Investment Management, Reporting Manager, Head of Risk Management, Business Change Managers, Programme and Project Managers, Business Analysts and Quality Managers.
• You will spearhead portfolio management at Jisc – knowing which programmes and projects should be delivered in order to meet the strategic goals for the business.
• Playing a pivotal role in understanding the connections between how Jisc creates and sets its strategy – and how those strategies come to fruition through programmes and projects.
• In this role, you will become the face of change management in Jisc, prioritising and organising when change happens within the business.
• Take full responsibility for managing, with the support of the Project Delivery Manager, a large portfolio of internal and external programmes and projects and ensuring that the projects are aligned with Jisc’s strategy.
Key Skills and Experience:
• Ideally you will be fully knowledgeable about the latest portfolio management practices – and will adapt and flex those to suit the culture and environment of Jisc
• Evidential experience of directing and managing a successful PMO/EPMO structure and framework
• Strong leadership skills and previous experience in leading and managing a portfolio office
• A solid track record of developing and delivering strategic programmes and projects at an enterprise level
• Experience in leading, mentoring and coaching a team of EPMO managers.
Please refer to the job description for full details.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work at Jisc:
At Jisc we believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
We offer hybrid working and although the majority of our staff work from home for part of the week, getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can and to meet with teams. If you prefer an office environment all our hubs are open and offer a great space to work.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
• 28 days holidays per annum plus bank holidays, plus 3 days between Christmas and New Year
• A phenomenal pension scheme with above average employer contributions
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment, plus your own Wellbeing allowance to spend on wellbeing for you
• Financial well-being support
• Discounts on big-name high-street stores
• Cycle to work scheme
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
Equality, diversity and inclusion:
At Jisc, we strive to be best in practice and are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles - a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you may need to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 21/11/2022.