Salary: From £45,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience
Contract: Permanent and Fixed Term contract positions available
Location: Hybrid - flexibility to work from home or at any of our main hubs (London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell)
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We believe education and research improves lives, and technology improves education and research.
Our vision is for the UK to be a world leader in technology for education and research and our mission is to power and empower our members with the technology and data they need to succeed. We know that digital technology has the ability to transform the student experience. We have the experience, expertise and know-how to drive that transformation.
About the role:
In Jisc Licensing we broker agreements with vendors for content and software solutions that will enable our members to deliver a quality student experience, deliver high quality research and innovation and enable transformational change.
As a Licensing Manager, Research you’ll negotiate innovative agreements on behalf of UK universities and research institutions. As part of our research team you will play a key part in the transition to open access and open research by negotiating pioneering agreements that unlock new discoveries and save time and money.
You’ll champion long-term relationships with library directors, research leads, publishers, and intermediaries and maintain a deep understanding of sector finances and the current and emerging requirements for our members in research.
As an expert in your field, you will promote Jisc’s role as a source of expertise, innovation in open access and licensing by increasing its visibility in the sector, through writing blogposts or articles or speaking at conferences or other events.
Key Skills and Experience:
• Demonstrable and proven experience of negotiating high value and complex digital content agreements.
• Ability to deliver briefings and presentations to senior level stakeholders.
• An exceptional communicator with experience of explaining complex concepts to a variety of different audiences and can tailor the style and message accordingly.
• Understanding of institutional finances and content requirement and can articulate these to publishers and other stakeholders.
Please refer to the job description for full details.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work at Jisc:
At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. We want to create a culture of lifelong learning. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
We celebrate diversity, embrace our differences and know that this is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive and we are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
At Jisc we believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
We offer hybrid working and although the majority of our staff work from home, getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. If you prefer an office environment all our hubs are open and offer a great space to work.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
• 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and an additional three closure days over Christmas
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment, plus your own Wellbeing allowance to spend on wellbeing for you
• Financial well-being support
• Discounts on big-name high-street stores
• Cycle to work scheme
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
Equality, diversity and inclusion
At Jisc, we strive to be best in practice and are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles - a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you need made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as soon as we can and aim to provide an update on your application within 4 weeks of receiving it. However, you may hear from us a lot sooner, so please keep an eye out for our emails or calls! We advertised this role on 18/05/2023