Senior Test Automation Engineer
Role: Senior Test Automation Engineer
Salary: upto £55,000 per annum depending on experience
Contract: Permanent (35 hours per week)
Location: Hybrid (combination of office and home working)
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
Jisc OpenAthens has the vision to become the world’s most user-friendly information access management experience, helping academics, students, scientists and library patrons gain access to the knowledge they need to achieve great things.
We know that sometimes people can be put off from applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box. But we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we are looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience to join our OpenAthens team here at Jisc:
• Highly skilled at creating automated tests that are both high-quality, easily maintainable and well documented
• Fluency with writing automated tests in Java to ensure REST-based APIs meet functional and non-functional requirements
• Knowledge and experience of automated and manual testing of Web-based applications
• Able to coach developers and other testers to drive a coherent and high-quality testing strategy across two scrum teams
• Experience of defining and creating functional and non-functional automated tests for enterprise-scale applications within an Agile software product development environment
About the role:
As a Test Engineer for one of the OpenAthens development scrum teams, you will use your technical skills, knowledge and experience, along with your soft skills, to work with your scrum team colleagues and stakeholders, to continually improve the OpenAthens identity and access management products. You will be involved in software development end-to-end, which may include backlog refinement, sprint planning, analysis, design and testing, and any accompanying continuous improvement process.
You will support with the delivery of the implementation of the automated testing strategy along with performing manual exploratory testing tasks.
• The creation, implementation and evolution of an automation test strategy, along with manual exploratory testing, to support and enhance our agile software development process.
• Creating and deploying automated API and UI test suites using Java
• Contributing to our highly collaborative Agile product development environment.
• We really want someone who can show us their passion and potential to become a technically skilled tester (interested in test automation, performance testing, security testing, etc). So, some existing fluency in a programming language is preferred.
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and three additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health and wellbeing benefits, including access to wellbeing support
• The option to join a generous pension scheme
• A wide range of discounts, a cycle scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans, as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 10/01/2022