Interim Legal Associate
Role: Interim Legal Associate – 12 month FTC
Salary: From £50,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience (when working full time max 35 hours per week)
Contract: 12 month Fixed term contract
Location: Hybrid - office based with full flexibility to work from home or at any of our hubs – London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell.
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We operate shared digital infrastructure and services; negotiate sector-wide deals with IT vendors and commercial publishers; and provide trusted advice and practical assistance for universities, colleges and learning providers.
We believe in technology for good – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change and are at the heart of our success. At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career.
Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
The Legal team at Jisc provides in-house legal advice and assistance to all divisions of Jisc (and its subsidiaries) aligned with the company’s business strategy. The Legal team is committed to working in trusted partnership with all business areas of Jisc to deliver commercially focused legal advice in respect of its activities and initiatives.
The core work of the Legal team is the drafting and negotiation of robust and fair contractual terms to underpin Jisc’s relationships with its customers and suppliers to mitigate and manage any potential legal risks.
The Legal team currently consists of the following members: Group General Counsel, 2 Senior Legal Advisers, 3 Legal Associates, 1 Legal Advisers and the Legal Apprentice.
About the role:
You will be responsible for providing legal support and assistance as directed by the Group General Counsel whilst operating independently to deliver the following accountabilities:
• Reviewing legal documents and providing timely and commercially focused advice to colleagues across Jisc on potential legal issues arising.
• Engaging with internal clients, sector institutions, stakeholders and external suppliers to facilitate the strategic objectives of Jisc.
• Carrying out specialised legal research in respect of ongoing work and preparing legal reports and papers on current legal issues and practice areas where required.
• Drafting contract templates, bespoke agreements and a variety of other legal documentation as required.
• Promoting risk management, compliance with applicable policies and procedures and relevant legislation and regulation and effective corporate governance.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We are looking for:
• Broad commercial law experience including drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements.
• Relevant legal knowledge and experience of technology law including digital media, intellectual property, data and IT contracts.
• Qualifying law degree (2:1) followed by the Legal Practice Course (LPC); or
• Non-law degree (2:1) followed by Common Professional Examination (CPE); or
• Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) conversion course followed by the LPC.
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors. At Jisc we offer hybrid working so you have the flexibility to work from home or if you prefer, from any of our offices. At times you may be required to attend meetings, however there are situations where you may need to work from the office more often, but will be dependent on your role requirement.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, that can adapt to suit your schedules and family commitments.
• 25 days holidays per annum plus bank holidays. You will also get an additional 3 days paid leave between Christmas and New Year (as of 1 August these go up to 28 days per annum, total 31 days)
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions.
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks for permanent staff
• Access to LinkedIn learning, thousands of courses and free books for learning skills.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development.
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment.
• Financial well-being support.
• Public sector discounts on big-name high-street stores.
• Cycle to work scheme.
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
We offer hybrid working although a majority of our staff work from home. To keep close to our team and other colleagues, we chat and collaborate effectively online via Teams and other channels. All our offices are open if you prefer that kind of environment, and occasionally we will have an ‘office day’ just to catch up and get some face time with each other. A few of our roles require you to be in the office more regularly, but this will be discussed at interview.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 10/05/2022