Senior Database Developer - 12 month FTC
Senior Database developer - 12 month FTC
Salary: from £42,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience
Location: Hybrid or at any of our hubs
Contract: Permanent Full time - 35 hours per week
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change – at Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. Being a social enterprise means that no matter how small our individual actions are, the positive impact on our collective is huge.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
We’re gearing up for our most exciting chapter yet – one with the chance to both build new systems and make our mark by improving old ones. Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• Full project life cycle experience (with a focus on requirements gathering and integration aspects) and a keen interest in designing and delivering data warehouse solutions, engaging with customers and internal
• Experience implementing large scale data integration solutions on a relational database platform, with expert level SQL skills
• Expert level working with data integration\ETL tool(s)
• A proven track record of projects involving analysis and modelling
• Intermediate level Linux and bash scripting is also essential
The EDW/BI Team provide data integration & BI solutions to the wider organisation. Our mission is to provide a well-managed, reliable data platform and help Jisc colleagues exploit data assets to make better decisions. Across the team we work with tools such as Postgres, AWS Redshift, Pentaho data integration (Kettle), Jenkins, & Tableau.
Our core service offering includes:
• A managed data platform integrating data from 100’s of data sources across the business which allows those data assets to be used by the wider business.
• Dashboard design, prototyping, and development and supporting the business intelligence function within Jisc.
• Support and mentoring colleagues wanting to self-serve their own data needs.
As a senior data warehouse developer, you’ll be developing an enhancing the existing data warehouse solution within an agile service delivery environment.
• Responsible for leading and managing projects to integrate complex data from internal systems and cloud platforms and manage implementation of that work through analysis, planning, testing, and release phases of a project.
• Responsible for data warehouse design, development and maintenance, as well as supporting the data warehouse when it has reached the production stage
• Work with ETL tools, databases, source control, and cloud services (e.g. AWS s3, Salesforce) to implement new data flows.
• Maintain the EDW/BI architecture and perform system updates
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and three additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health and wellbeing benefits, including access to wellbeing support
• The option to join a generous pension scheme
• A wide range of discounts, a cycle scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans, as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know:
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical to our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you’re great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
Let us know if you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We’ll be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CV’s when we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match. We don’t usually use closing dates, so apply as soon as you can to avoid missing out. We advertised this role on 13/10/21