Penetration Tester and Security Specialist
Salary: Circa £50,000 per annum when working full time (35 hours a week)
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our passionate team of people want to make a social impact and challenge conventional thinking as they work on cutting-edge, emerging technologies and solutions – the kind you won’t find anywhere else.
This is the place where world-class minds fuse the best of education with the best of technology to set standards. Big remits, lots of autonomy and plenty of trust, in a diverse, inclusive environment is what keeps our people delivering incredible things for our members and non-members.
We build on our legacy to think one step ahead and answer ever changing needs. We have a unique role and commitment to our collective, and by delivering access, advice and true partnership, we enable progress for the entire community that rely on us – something to feel proud and excited about.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box. But we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. If you're excited about working for us and can do most of what we are looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• A strong technical knowledge, ideally with experience in a security specialist capacity.
• Experience in penetration testing and cloud security.
• Demonstrable experience of operating a range of industry standard tools for testing.
• Able to communicate effectively with a wide audience, able to simplify complex technical issues for senior management.
• Produce detailed Pen testing reports for executive management and technical audiences.
About the role
The Penetration Tester & security specialist role will work to support the services within the professional security services portfolio and is responsible for supporting and helping to expand the portfolio of security services delivered by the cyber security division. We deliver engagements to our membership, to strategic partners and internally to key stakeholders.
Responsibilities will include but not be restricted to:
• Carrying out Penetration Testing and Cyber Essentials Plus work remotely and at member sites as necessary
• Assist and develop best practices for cyber security for the educational and research sector within the cyber security division
• Produce detailed penetration testing reports for executive management and technical audiences
• Provide guidance on suitable penetration testing and defensive methodologies for cloud and local services
• Provide appropriate briefings to a range of different management audiences, simplifying complex security data and provide guidance on suitable penetration testing and defensive methods
• Ability to provide advice and support to other teams, customers and third-party suppliers on detected security threats and advising of best course of action
• Assist in the preparation and delivery of educational material, conferences and workshops on cyber security
• Supporting a collaborative and expanding team of remote-working and office UK-based security specialists
• Scoping of security tests directly with the members and providing clarity on reporting parameters
• Executing the test both as part of a team and as a solo engagement
Why work at Jisc
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working including flexible hours and working from home. We are always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too: We offer.
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 3 additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health & wellbeing benefits, including cash plan, and access to wellbeing support
• You have the option to join a generous pension scheme
• We offer a wide range of discounts, a cycle to work scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is a doddle, thanks to our technology, but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can, so you may need to travel on occasion. Our main offices are in Bristol, Harwell, London and Manchester.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CV’s as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 28/4/21.