Senior Systems Administrator (Networking)
Senior Systems Administrator (Networking)
Salary: Up to £50,000 per annum depending on experience
Location: Hybrid - office based with full flexibility to work from home or at any of our hubs – London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell.
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We operate shared digital infrastructure and services; negotiate sector-wide deals with IT vendors and commercial publishers; and provide trusted advice and practical assistance for universities, colleges and learning providers.
We believe in technology for good – in improving lives through education and research. Our people want to make a real change and are at the heart of our success. At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career.
We’re a place unlike any other, where the best of education fuses with the best of technology to create a unique model with unique opportunities and interesting problems to solve in a diverse and inclusive environment. It’s what keeps our work varied, original and surprising – and that’s why we love it.
Our story will be written by those ready to take on challenges and see them through; the kind of people who never stop learning, celebrating differences and using it to drive better solutions. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
The Cyber security division at Jisc consists of a number of teams, including the Security Operations Centre, professional services and Infrastructure and critical services.
This role is responsible for developing and maintaining the infrastructure and systems that support Jisc’s security services and teams enabling the security of Jisc’s Janet network: a high-speed network for the UK research and education community.
About the role:
You will be part of a team responsible for the maintenance, operation, development and implementation of technologies, systems and networks as the team modernises and automates both new and existing systems and services. You will ensure that multiple teams in the cyber security division and wider divisions across the company are supported with the relevant infrastructure and systems for current and future business needs. This role also helps support customers where services cover their infrastructure.
Other responsibilities will include:
• Maintenance and development of systems, platforms and applications supporting the work of the cybersecurity division as a whole, including patching and monitoring.
• Ensure that disaster recovery solutions are implemented and functional.
• Provide occasional second line troubleshooting and support to users of services hosted on the platform.
• Automating the configuration and operation of network devices.
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You could be exactly what we need!
We are looking for:
• A background in enterprise network administration with experience of managing network devices both via CLI and using automation technologies – including firewalls, routing, and switching
• Experience working with networks using eBGP, OSPF and IPv6 would be beneficial
• Previous experience with Ansible or JunOS would be a bonus, as would being comfortable working with Linux and Git based CI/CD workflows
• Knowledge and understanding of protocols and technologies that support the network – including DHCP, DNS, NTP, RADIUS
• Fluency in one or more scripting languages, such as Python
Why work at Jisc:
We want to make sure our people have the flexibility they need to balance their personal lives and do well at work. So, we focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working, including flexible hours and working from home.
You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors. At Jisc we offer hybrid working so you have the flexibility to work from home or if you prefer, from any of our offices. At times you may be required to attend meetings, however there are situations where you may need to work from the office more often, but will be dependent on your role requirement.
We’re always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, that can adapt to suit your schedules and family commitments.
• 28 days holidays per annum plus bank holidays. You will also get an additional 3 days paid leave between Christmas and New Year
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions.
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning.
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment, plus your own Wellbeing allowance to spend on wellbeing for you
• Financial well-being support.
• Discounts on big-name high-street stores.
• Cycle to work scheme.
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans.
Connecting with each other is easy, thanks to our technology but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. Our main offices are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester, so you may need to travel on occasion.
Other stuff you need to know
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just so you know, we review CVs as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match (usually within a week). We don’t use closing dates. So, please apply as soon as possible to avoid missing out on this role. We advertised this role on 28/07/2022.