Licensing Manager - (Software for Research)
Licensing Manager (Software for Research)
Salary: From £45,000 per annum negotiable depending on experience
Location: Hybrid - flexibility to work from home or at any of our main hubs (London, Bristol, Manchester and Harwell)
Jisc is the UK higher, further education and skills sectors’ not-for-profit organisation for digital services and solutions. We believe education and research improves lives, and technology improves education and research.
Our vision is for the UK to be a world leader in technology for education and research and our mission is to power and empower our members with the technology and data they need to succeed. We know that digital technology has the ability to transform the student experience. We have the experience, expertise and know-how to drive that transformation.
About the role:
In Jisc Licensing we broker agreements with vendors for content and software solutions that will enable our members to deliver a quality student experience, deliver high quality research and innovation and enable transformational change.
The role of Licensing Manager is critical to the value we deliver to our customers. As a Licensing Manager you’ll negotiate and broker agreements with vendors and resellers for software solutions on behalf of our customers.
You will leverage market research and sector knowledge to discuss and agree, with colleagues in Licensing and Procurement, the best way to broker agreements that will deliver the highest value to our customers and support the ongoing financial sustainability of Jisc.
Responsibilities will include:
• Negotiate with vendors and resellers to achieve cost effective agreements for solutions that meet the needs of our customers and ensure that due diligence has been completed to enable customers to confidently purchase the software solution
• Manage effective relationships with vendors and resellers ensuring that communication is clear and that we are advocating the strategic and practical requirements of our customers
• Engage with our customers and sector bodies, maintaining the reputation of Jisc and developing relationships that will enhance your knowledge and understanding and assist in your negotiations
• Work with our contract and licensing experts to ensure the final agreed terms and pricing are accurately detailed in the licence or procurement framework
Key Skills and Experience:
• Extensive experience in academic IT departments or knowledge of the use of software that supports research activity in higher education and research council sectors or experience in other sectors involved in the licensing and provision of software
• Demonstrable experience in negotiation and software procurement
• Ability to write and present briefings and presentations to senior level stakeholders
• Experience in use of data and intelligence to inform strategy and tactics
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box but we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Why work at Jisc:
At Jisc, everyone plays a key role and gets the chance to feel part of it, that to us is the definition of a meaningful career. We want to create a culture of lifelong learning. You can look forward to a rewarding job with opportunities to develop and make a real difference to the education and research sectors.
We celebrate diversity, embrace our differences and know that this is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive and we are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
At Jisc we believe a balance between your personal and professional life is essential to your happiness and fulfilment. We work flexibly at Jisc and focus on outputs rather than presenteeism and are open to a whole range of ways of working. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life.
We offer hybrid working and although the majority of our staff work from home, getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can. If you prefer an office environment all our hubs are open and offer a great space to work.
Our benefits are great too. We offer:
• Flexible work pattern, which can adapt to suit your schedules and personal commitments
• 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays and three closure days at Christmas
• A generous pension scheme with above average employer contributions
• A range of leave options, including parental leave, volunteer leave and even career breaks.
• A generous budget to attend conferences and in-person training
• Allocated allowance of up to £250 to equip your home office
• A company culture which supports and promotes personal learning and development, including access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning
• Mental health first aid trained staff and supportive environment, plus your own Wellbeing allowance to spend on wellbeing for you
• Financial well-being support
• Discounts on big-name high-street stores
• Cycle to work scheme
• Employee recognition awards and travel loans
Equality, diversity and inclusion
At Jisc, we strive to be best in practice and are working hard to achieve progressive change. ‘Always inclusive’ is one of our six guiding principles - a principle which actively encourages acceptance of differences within individuals.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, neurodivergence, trans status, veteran status or gender identity.
Please do let us know what reasonable adjustments you need made to the application or selection process so you can do your best. We will be happy to help you.
Just so you know, we review CVs as soon as we can and aim to provide an update on your application within 4 weeks of receiving it. However, you may hear from us a lot sooner, so please keep an eye out for our emails or calls! We advertised this role on 23/05/2023