Senior Media and Communications officer
Senior Media and Communications officer
Salary: circa £30,000 per annum working full time (35 hours)
We believe in ‘Technology for Good’ – in improving lives through education and research. Our passionate team of people want to make a social impact and challenge conventional thinking as they work on cutting-edge, emerging technologies and solutions – the kind you won’t find anywhere else.
Using your strong writing, editorial and PR skills you will help enhance the influence and reach of our technology-focused thought leadership. And with a nose for a good story and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the business, you will craft and place newsworthy pitches across the spectrum of UK mainstream and sector media.
We know that sometimes people might not apply for a job if they don’t think they can tick all the boxes, even though they could potentially be a good match for the role. So, if you can tick off most of what we are asking for, go ahead and apply. You could be the very person we are looking for.
We’re ideally looking for someone with:
• Strong experience in a similar communications role or relevant journalist role.
• Experience of working to deadline with a variety of publications and outlets.
• Examples of developing successful PR plans and securing media coverage.
• Good contacts with media (ideally at local, national and international level).
• Experience within a tech/engineering and/or higher education environment would be beneficial.
Our media team works to raise Jisc's profile with our target audiences through print, broadcast and online media, and through Jisc’s corporate website.?
The team helps to shape the news agenda on issues important to members, by placing key messages and thought leadership content in mainstream and sector-specific newspapers, magazines, websites, programmes and podcasts.
They do this by writing blogs, drafting press releases, preparing pitches and positioning Jisc colleagues as experts in the media.
Why work at Jisc
A place of openness and inclusivity, here we don’t just execute – we are encouraged to ideate, build and see our impact on an entire collective.
Joining at an exciting time of significant cultural change both within Jisc and within the sector, you will have the opportunity to work on meaningful projects at the highest level. That’s why we look for creative risk-takers – those who are always thinking one step ahead to power our organisation forward, and realise our digital vision.
We are always learning and developing. All our people have access to a huge variety of learning resources to help them achieve this.
Our benefits are great too, We offer:
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 3 additional days Christmas closure) and flexible agile working
• A range of health & wellbeing benefits, including cash plan, and access to wellbeing support
• You have the option to join a generous pension scheme
• We offer a wide range of discounts, a cycle to work scheme, financial wellbeing savings and season ticket loans as well as a range of other benefits
• We also offer generous parental leave arrangements, career breaks and volunteer leave
Connecting with each other is straightforward and easy, thanks to our technology, but getting face to face is something we value and find time for when we can, our main officers are Bristol, London, Harwell and Manchester so you may need to travel on occasion.
Some extra information for you
At Jisc we celebrate diversity and know that it is critical for our success. We work hard to make sure we’re inclusive. So, if you are great at what you do and share our values, we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We will be happy to help.
Just to let you know, we review CV’s as we receive them, and interview as soon as we have applications that look like a good match, we don’t use closing dates. We advertised this role on 14/6/2021.